Ontario Garlic Grower Grand Championship
Categories available for entry:
- Purple Stripe
There is no cost to enter. There is no limit on how many times you may enter. You may enter multiple times in the same category or in multiple different categories.
The following prizes will be awarded in each category:
1st prize – wins $10, a red ribbon plus a certificate showing it was the winner of this category.
2nd prize wins $7 and a blue ribbon
3rd prize wins $5 and a white ribbon
The following award will be given to the Ontario Garlic Grower Grand Champion.
Best in Show – wins $25 & a garlic trophy & a Certificate of Best Overall Garlic Winner.
Winners will be posted on our website and remain there for a minimum of 2 years. In addition winners will receive some social media love through Facebook and Twitter. Yes, this is the perfect way to promote your product.
General Rules and Information
- Entry is open to all who wish to participate both exhibitors and the general public. You must have grown the Ontario garlic yourself.
- Exhibiters will need to fill out an entry form which can be completed online at http://stratfordgarlicfestival.com/product/ontario-garlic-grower-grand-championship/
- Online entries will be accepted until August 31 st. Garlic must be brought to the presentation tent on Saturday September 12, 2015 from before 11 AM. The garlic will be judged in the categories listed above.
- Each entry will have an ID card with a number and the name of the Garlic (Music, German White, Georgian Fire, Ukrainian Red, Duganskij, Red Toch, Transylvanian, Inchellium, FishLake, etc, the type of garlic will not play into the judging for the beauty contest but it more of a general public education) along with the category that it is entered into. The back of the card will be filled out which will include the above details along with the name of the exhibitor, this card will not be revealed until after the judging to keep the judging unbiased. Following the award ceremony the card revealing the exhibitor name will be revealed and the winner’s ribbons will be attached.
- Judging will take place on Saturday September 12th. Judge’s decisions are final.
- Results will be at 3:15pm on Saturday September 12th inside the presentation tent. You are not required to be present.
- Exhibitors are expected to leave their entries on exhibit for the education of the public. You may pick up your garlic on Sunday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm. Garlic not picked up will be donated to a local charity. Prizes not picked up will be mailed to you.
Garlic Entry Details
- Garlics for the contest should not be washed in water. All loose dirt must be removed. The outermost paper layers may be removed, but the bulb is not to be peeled to the extent that individual cloves are either distinguishable or exposed.
- Each variety entry, consists of 3 bulbs. The tops should be trimmed commensurate with the size of the bulbs, but the max is 1 inches. The roots can be completely cut away, or left on, but neatly trimmed to reveal a moustache or a beard.
- This is not a tasting contest. As with other Regional Fair Competitions for vegetables or animals, it is based on physical quality and appearance.
- Each entry of three of a kind, will be judged on physical uniformity and perfection. To be judged excellent, all three bulbs need to be of the same size and shape. Two Super Jumbos and the third is a large bulb, or two rounds and one oval will lose points. The tops should be trimmed flat and not at an angle, the roots should be trimmed even without stray hairs. The outer wrappers should be clean and without tears. Some garlic outer papers exhibit a color which can vary from pink to purple which gets deeper the more wrappers you peel off. All three bulbs need to be the same depth of color, but be careful removing those wrappers, because once there is any hole or exposure of clove cleavage, although attractive, this entry will lose points. Please note that size is not everything, a set of 3 large bulbs will not gain points over a set of 3 medium or small bulbs.
- The Ontario Garlic Grower Grand Champion will be selected from the 1st prize winners in each category to come up with one overall winner.
Good Luck !